Consumers strive to drink pure water. Filter manufacturers frequently hint at making pure water. Bottled water companies entice customers with talk of pure water. Who among us is not familiar with the beer company who brags about pure mountain spring water? For sure, speak the “pure water” people will pay attention.
The problem however, is that pure water is not something available to the average person to drink, and for good reason. As we have documented elsewhere in this blog pure water is unstable. It is reactive and will quickly absorb any contaminants that it comes into proximity with. Pure water will absorb CO2 and form carbonic acid; it will absorb metals such as chromium, zinc and lead; it will absorb gasses, and it will absorb bacteria, algae and viruses. Trust me, you don’t want to drink and store pure water.
The ideal water for us is what is called passive water. Passive water has a proper and safe level of contaminants so that the water is delicious, stable, non-reactive and easy to handle. Municipal tap water is one of the safest, most stable forms of drinking water available. While you may not like the chlorine found in municipal tap water, this chemical keeps water bacteria free and gives the water a longer, stable shelf-life. Water that doe not have chlorine, or a sensible amount of safe contaminants, such as bottled water, will always be less stable and quicker to degrade in quality.
ALWAYS REMEMBER – NATURAL WATER IS CONTAMINATED WATER!