A good friend, colleague, and partner just returned from attending the CES Convention (electronics) in Las Vegas. Surprisingly, there was a session about water, to be specific, water shortages. I thought I would share some chilling facts about our precious water. I am going to let the facts speak for themselves. You guys can add your own conclusions.
- 20- 30% of municipal drinking water never gets to the consumer because it is lost into the earth by way of pipe and joint leaks
- 21 of the top 30 aquifers in the world are at the tipping point of running dry.
- 750 water main breaks happen daily in the US
- 1 person dies every 10 seconds because of a water-borne illness
- 1/2 trillion liters of bottled water are produced/consumed per day Up to 40% of the bottling water process goes to drain. The leftover plastic from the bottles is surrounding us with pollution.
OTHER SOBERING FACTS TO THINK ABOUT
- It takes between 1,800 and 2,000 gallons of water to make a single pair of blue jeans
- It takes up to 9 liters of water to make a 2-liter bottle of soda
- 100,000 municipal water quality violations have transpired in the US over the past 20 years
- The average number of yearly municipal drinking water violations has increased from 1,800 in 2000, to over 6,000 in 2018