My love affair with science began as far back as I can remember. In my 10th year I went through 3 chemistry sets, at 12 I learned 5 different ways to blow things up, and at 15 was making electronic gadgets to alter the sound of my guitar and accordion.
I did well in high school science classes and decided to take a pre-med curriculum in college. Along the way I became disinterested in medicine but continued on to get a BS in Biology focused in Microbiology and Virology, with a minor in Chemistry. In college I took part in the study of the environmental effects of unbridled Steel Mill pollution on the now-recovering Mahoning River in Youngstown, Ohio. A partial list of my post-college CV follows.
- 1981 – Youngstown State University – Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology with minors in chemistry and mathematics. Team leader for the study of contamination in the Mahoning River. Member of YSU Clean Rivers Initiative to study the effect of steel mill waste discharge on the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela Rivers
- 1981 – 82: Community Dialysis Center – Dialysis Technician – Patient assessment, performed complete Hemodialysis Treatment. Pure Water Task Force
- 1982 – 84: St. Elizabeth Hospital, Youngstown, Ohio – Technical Coordinator, Dialysis Services. Provided training for nursing and technical staff. Redesigned High Purity Water System to eliminate recurring Pseudomonas Aureus and Staphylococcus contamination.
- 1984 – Completed seminar curricula for Management of Infectious Disease at the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences at La Jolla, Ca.
- 1985 – Keynote Speaker, American Kidney Foundation, Network 22 – The Nature of Water
- 1984 – 86 – Clinical Applications Specialist, Peck Water Systems – Designed, Installed, and implemented high purity water systems at Carnegie Mellon University and Institute, University of Pittsburgh, also at Allegheny General, Presbyterian, Mercy, Cleveland Clinic and numerous other Hospitals.
- 1986 – 88 – High Purity Water Specialist, Kinetico Engineered Systems – Designed high purity water technology, waste minimization, and water reuse technology for industry. Recognized for designing first US Deionized water system for Honda Motors, USA, Ana, Ohio.
- 1988 – 1992 – Sales Engineer Arrowhead Industrial Water / US Filter. Designed high purity water technology for Aerospace, Power Generating, Automotive, Electronics, Chemical/Petrochemical and Heavy Industry. Placed technology with US Steel, Union Carbide, Degussa, Ohio Edison, Penn Power, American Electric Service, and Ford Motors.
- 1992 – 1995 – Water-Core Engineering – Independent Consultant serving high purity Medical and R&D facilities. Provided technology, service and consulting to Travenol, Smith Cline, BD, Debartolo/York Laboratories and others.
- 1995 – 1998 Culligan International/US Filter – Focused on Build/Own/Operate high purity water systems for Chemical/Petrochemical, Power Generating, and Heavy Industry.
- 1998 – 2002 – Sustainable Resource Technologies – Provided consultive expertise in the drinking water, biomedical, and nuclear power generating market segments. Helped entities such as the city of Youngstown, Ohio, PPG, TVA, Nucor Steel, and Centerior Energy meet EPA certifications for both consumable and waste/discharge water.
- 2002 – 2006 – Mobile Process Technology/Envirogen Technologies – Designed and implemented water purification, reuse and waste minimization technologies. Valero, BASF, and Dupont and Lucite were some leading clients.
- 2006 – 2010 – Siemens Water Technologies – High Purity Group – Redesigned central high purity water system at St. Jude Children’s Hospital. Placed technology into University of Tennessee, University of Memphis, Fresenius Dialysis Centers, Baxter, Glaxo, TVA and others.
- 2016 – Keynote, Memphis Chamber of Commerce – “The Economic Benefits of Memphis Water”
- 2017 – Founder Glanris, Inc. – Created a company around the world’s first-ever, 100% green water purification. Company manufactures a patented technology that turns previously carbon-rich rice husk (bio waste) into a ultra low cost, carbon-reducing, pollution reducing water purification media. Designed, built and directed the creation of an R&D facility including manufacturing, analytical laboratory, and R&D operations. Technology removes a variety of health depleting contaminants including lead, chromium, aluminum, bacteria, viruses, PFAs, solvents, BOD, COD and low-middle molecular weight organics.
- 2021 – Developed the first ever biocarbon block filter capable of removing heavy metals from drinking water.
- 2012 – Awarded three patents for removing metals with rice biochar, and regenerating it for multiple use using sodium bicarbonate.
- 2010 – Present – Water Is The New Gold – Created my own consulting firm offering high-purity water services, water recycling and waste minimization/green water technology to industry and institutions in the Mid South. Clients include Drexel Chemicals, PMC Biogenix, Georgia Pacific, Hardy Bottling, St. Jude Children’s Hospital, The Cleveland Clinic, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Tennessee and many more.
- 2023 – Authored the Book – Open Tap – Drink Poison – This is the first book that effectively provides tools that enable citizens to achieve safe drinking water. It provides easy to understand, textbook-infallible education on topics such as water filter technology, bottled water, contaminants and more.
Volunteer and Other Work
- Regional Coordinator – Nashville Songwriters Association International – Recognized for combatting negative legislation in DC (Sensenbrenner Amendment), and largest membership growth in US.
- Seminar Presenter, Columnist – Memphis Rap.com – Provided recording/engineering lessons to aspiring artists. (The Producer’s Corner)
- President, Memphis Downtown Neighborhood Association – Secured two grants for the construction of bike racks using Memphis metal working artists. Recognized by HUD Director and company CEO for helping to secure Bass Pro Shops to the Memphis Pyramid.
- Mayor Willie Herrenton’s Downtown Parking Commission – Researched options for improving downtown parking
- Memphis Riverfront Development Corporation – Worked to bring new opportunities to the Memphis, Riverfront. Contributed and supported Beale Street Landing, and the Cobblestone project.
- Mayor Wharton’s Blue Stream Task Force – Co Chair, Economic Development Committee. Think tank to explore, protect and expand the benefits of the Memphis Sands Aquifer.
Personal and Hobbies
In my private time I enjoy frequent trips to the Vegas Desert, Cruise ship adventures with my wife Cathy, and loafing with my dogs. I am a cigar enthusiast and an avid bowler with an ongoing, persistent 200+ average, and multiple perfect 300 games to my credit. I enjoy composing and playing music and am accomplished at guitar, accordion, harmonica, keyboards, mandolin, bouzouki, balalaika, bass and a few other instruments.